Saturday, May 3, 2014

Proof of concept, and the next steps.

So, my proof of concept is done, and now it's time to take a break from the game development portion so i can get the game set up, and start generating some real interest in the game. It's nice to make it this far, and i'd like to make a little recap of the process so far:

First, I've always had an interest with video games. I love playing them, and i dare say i am naturally good with playing, understanding, and coming up with new game concepts. I always thought to myself "Boy, i could come up with great ideas, if only i could program and draw".

later on I've even tried to take classes for game design, sadly i took this course more seriously than the college or the other students (Playing games, and learning the basics of free tools that you could learn by watching a YouTube tutorial, which is what i am doing).

So, years later, with an interest in developing games, and now some financial issues, I've started developing Verpa Cunnus in my spare time. I've been working on it for the past 6 months... of course that doesn't mean i put 6 months worth of work into it, Because i have been working 84 hour weeks (getting paid 40 hours mind you) it's hard to be motivated to push forward on the game.

When i started the project, i knew almost nothing about programming and even less about any sort of art. Even now, it's a struggle. Over the months though, I've learned a great deal and have improved on my little game engine and now i have something functioning well enough to show off. The art aspect is lacking, but i think when i have more time to devote to doing the part (I've had to throw in cheap versions of what i could draw or use free source material to cover for the sake of having something to show off).

So here is what i have now:

the good:
Basic enemy ai (they follow you and damage you)
bare bones combat (equip a dagger, do damage with it)
Inventory system (which i am proud of)
fairly tight controls and a simple concept
dialog basically works

The bad:
graphics are laughable
animations are missing or lacking

The ugly:
my one "cutscene"has no substance. there is a little place holder animation just to prove the system works.

"Art" "style" needs improvement. Even when i get them looking better, they need more detail.
There also seems to be a stuttering issue that is inherent in the development program i am using, that i need to get over.

Where to go from here? well to start, i need to come up with a method which which i can show off my "proof of concept". While it isn't overly appealing in it's current state, i hope that people can see where i can take it from there. What i was able to put together was from my spare time out of my 84  hour work weeks, tired and drained mind, and with an hour a day or less to work on it over those 6 months.

I can only imagine what games i could develop if i were working on them full time! How i long to make that a reality, and Verpa Cunnus is the first step toward that goal. My hope is that i could generate some interest of some people who would want to see this game reach it's true potential, rather than remain a side project.


No comments:

Post a Comment